Friday, October 24, 2008


Has it only been one month since my last post? I guess after Houston came back online after the storm we've felt the need to rush, rush, rush and catch up. Boy have we been busy. Grant wrapped up his first season of flag football. His stats = 4 Rushing Touchdowns!! Cate has started her rehearsals already for her next appearance in the Nutcracker. She gets to be a mouse this year and she is so excited! These are proud parent moments!


Here's a heartfelt moment. Briggs, our nearly 14 year old lab, ran away one evening during a terrible storm. I know, I know - I'm terrible because I make him live outside but anyway. We noticed he was lost the next morning and it was just a crazy morning because we had Grant's first teacher conference that morning at 7:30 a.m. Rush, Rush, Rush. So we left the house without finding the dog. In the car ride on the way to school Cate told me that she was so very sad about Briggs. Through tears she said "I'm never going to see him again!" Although I feared this too, no way was I letting on. She then said how she wished she had been in the backyard last night so that Briggs could have told her where he was going. Ah - my heart was breaking. She then asked if we could put his picture on a crumpled up piece of paper on the stop sign? I'm not sure why it had to be a "crumpled" up piece of paper but I can only think this is because many of those "lost" animal signs become very weathered and she always seems to notice that. Yes, my darling daughter has such a sweet heart. The good news is that my Dad can now add dog finder onto his list of things to do in retirement. He drove up and down every street in the neighborhood for us. He finally found that old, brown dog in an open garage one street over. I have to say that someone was watching out for us that day. I have no idea how he saw that dog lying in the open garage but he did and my sweet neighbor helped my Dad put that old, brown dog into the car. Cate squealed with excitement when I told her "Papaw found Briggs!"


My final moment to share, is one of head scratching. Wednesday I received a call from Grant's principal. She is a fantastic principal, in her first year, and remember the call I received from her last year where she commented on how sweet and honest Grant had been during and incident with another child. I just knew this call would be the same. Right? I mean he's so smart, so sweet, so....BORED! She proceeded to tell me that Grant was found scaling the wall outside of the girls restroom. I didn't know if I should laugh or be mad. Grant told both the principal and I that he didn't know why he had done that. He was on a pass from his teacher to go the restroom and another teacher found him trying the climb the wall. Grant said that no girls were in the bathroom. Thank Goodness!!! I need to say that the teacher conference, the one of the crazy dog missing morning, was great. Grant received glowing marks, except for his inability to remain focused. You're telling me! He is reading at a 3rd - 4th grade level and is still enjoying anything related to science. Maybe he was just re-enacting the Myth Busters show when they try to prove/disprove super hero powers.


P.s. The picture is from Cate's school Fall Festival that was today!